The Madman's Daughter

The Madman's Daughter - Originally posted at yAdult ReviewThis book is a case of “it’s not you, it’s me.” I wanted to love it. I was drawn to the cover and the storyline yet I could not get into this story for the life of me. It was extremely slow and drawn out to me. Although I finished this book a little bit ago and am just getting to the review now (thanks school! Love you 5ever) I’m still stuck on my feelings on the novel.While I couldn’t put the book down it did begin to lose my interest about half way through. That isn’t because of Shepard’s writing or storytelling. Her imagery and her ability to keep the story during the time period was spot on and perfect what was making me lose interest was sadly the actual story. There were parts that I just didn’t care. I didn’t care about the awkward love triangle, even though it was extremely well executed I just sadly just didn’t care. I didn’t care about the father/daughter story (which goes against everything I know) mostly because her father was so horrible that I just didn’t care about him. Shepherd made Juliet’s father a certain way on purpose and while he was well written he made me rage so much it was hard to care. There was also an animal death in the beginning portion of the book which killed probably the whole story for me. I’m sadly one of those people who’s like “human death?! whatever! animal death?! NOOOOOO” Oh in the name of science? Still not helpful.Even with that in the beginning of the book I still pushed through part because Juliet Moreau is a kick-ass character. I enjoyed her but didn’t always enjoy what she did, even if I got why she did it. She was feisty and sassy and my type of main character. She is why I stayed with this book and continued on with her story even if is slowly hurt me throughout. I would read Shepard’s books in the future because her writing sucked me in and made me turn every page; however, I’m not sure I would continue to read this exact series because it was a bit much for me in certain areas. But it’s not a remotely bad book, it’s a solid book, just again, it’s not the book, it’s me!