Shakespeare's Secret

Shakespeare's Secret - Elise Broach Originally posted at Nose in a BookTo say I have a soft spot for childrens books is an understatement. I adore them. I was a voracious reader as a child and that has not changed now. Fine, grad school gets in the way now, but I still try to read as much as possible. (Has nothing to do with my fear of too many books too little time. Nope. No siree.) But seriously, childrens books: fabulous. I hate when people won’t read a book purely because it’s a kids book. My two friends and I run this book blog almost dedicated completely to YA books and the youngest one of us turns 24 at the end of May. We’re big fans of childrens books over here.On to Shakespeare’s Secret. This is the story of Hero, yes her name is Hero and yes she hates it. She’s 12 and starting a new school, again. Her father, a Shakespeare scholar, got a new job, which means Hero gets to start fresh. Sadly, starting fresh isn’t as easy for her as it is for her sister Bea(trice).The thing with Shakespeare’s Secret is Hero grows. I mean, she’s 12, that is her job. But she really grows in this novel, and not just because she helped to solve a mystery with the cute boy in the neighborhood and her next door neighbor. Although yes, that was helpful. It’s hard to say what is the heart of the story: Hero solving an awesome crime/mystery that took place in her house or growing up. Okay, not that hard. It was her growing up.