Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries)

Cocaine Blues  - Kerry Greenwood Originally posted at Nose in a BookI am in the middle of a love affair with all things post World War I, pre World War II. It has nothing to do with the fact I was a history major and has everything to do with Downton Abbey. THANKS LAUREN. Because of my love affair with Downton Abbey and a recommendation from a coworker, I found Ms. Phryne Fisher. Phryne (pronounced Fry-knee) is light years ahead of her time. She is progressive, knows what she should say and then doesn’t because she doesn’t agree with it. She sleeps with numerous men, until she finally settles down with one many books into the series and then defends him to everyone because many think he isn’t worthy to her status.The thing about Phryne is there are many things that bother me about her. When reading this series I often feel like you shouldn’t like her, but you do. Because she is awesome, rarely takes no, scares almost all of her friends and staff. Plus, while being awesome she solves murders. She doesn’t set out to solve murders; Phryne is really good at being in the wrong place at the wrong time Yet with the help of a lovely police officer (Detective Inspector John Robinson: ‘call me Jack, everyone else does,’) her staff (Butler, Mrs. Butler and Dot) and friends she solves murders. I have yet to solve one of the murders before she does, which I always find to be a plus when reading mystery novels. So yes, this review is supposed to be about the first book in the series, but I can’t recommend the first book without recommending the series.