The Girl of Fire and Thorns

The Girl of Fire and Thorns - Rae Carson I should have liked this book. Okay, let me put it this way, I should have liked this book more than I did. I liked it. I think I just had high expectations of it. Tina was a huge fan of it. So was Lauren. (AKA both my fellow bloggers.) I trust their opinions, and yet this book took me still took me forever to get into. I wanted to get into it, I really did. And I did, but by that time, I was at the end.Even with that being said: the writing was fantastic. The fact that Carson killed anyone was awesome because so many authors fear killing off people, it seems. I fell in love with a character; chapters later they were dead. The writing being fabulous helped take away a bit of the sting. I’m the reader who gets a wee bit attached to the characters. I’ll admit, when I first started this book I hated the main character. Elisa annoyed me to no end. If it was my book I would have thrown it across the room. She was whiny and needy and I don’t want to say had no purpose, but for a bit there she really had no purpose. She was a spoiled princess (and it’s not that I hate princesses, oh no, I love princesses). But Elisa has a purpose. She is sent from God to serve her purpose and then die. How fun, right?She is politically married off to a widower with a child. This sets off a whole chain of events that change and affect her life forever. Most of these events I cannot tell you about and instead have to force you to read the book, or at least go read Tina’s post. She said it much better than I ever could.