The Night Circus

The Night Circus - if I wasn't such a stubborn ass I would have given up, but I'm glad I stuck it out. It grew on me.Originally posted at Nose in a BookI wanted to love this book. This is my type of book! Romance? Check! Mystery? Check! Circus? Check! Sadly, I did not love it. I got to it after the hype. Almost everyone I know (and trust the book opinion of) loved this book and I think that hype got to me. At about 80% of the book I finally started to love it. I shouldn’t have had to read 80% of the book to love it, let’s be honest here.The first problem I had is it reminded me of Water for Elephants, a book that is in my top five list. (Yes, I read it before the movie came out. No, I haven’t seen the movie.) The romance, the prison, I just felt like I was being taken back to Water for Elephants, which again made it hard for me to get into the book.When I finally did get into the book though, I did love it. I loved the story between Marco and Celia. I hated their two masters and how much of an asshole both of them were because they had this need to be right. The Night Circus is the story of Marco and Celia, two little kids who grow up to be young adults whose life goal is to compete against each other. It is not their life goal, but the life goal of their parent/master who always have to compete against each other. The only way to get out of this dual, you ask? Death. The dual is with the use of magic that both of them train for, for years and years.As soon as Celia and Marco meet each other they feel the attraction of love. Because of that attraction they try to change their destiny to stay together forever, even with the dual in between them.Morgenstern’s writing is amazing, visual, and made me feel like I was there. I will for sure be reading Morgenstern’s next novel, I will just not be re-reading The Night Circus.