The Diviners

The Diviners - Libba Bray Originally posted at Nose in a BookThis is the story of Evangeline, who if the story took place in 2012 would be considered a normal teenage girl. However, this story takes place in the 1920s and because of that fact she is considered rebellious, her parents are unable to control her after her brother died in World War I. Evangeline, or Evie as she prefers to be known as, is shipped off to New York City to live with her uncle after she did a parlor trick that embarrassed one of the rich families in her town. This story quickly turns into one that tells two tales at once. Evie’s story and Memphis’ story. Both of which run parallel to each other, but by the end overlap just a little bit. But if you are reading this for Memphis’ story you will be let down, this book is mostly Evie’s to tell.Evie is the type of character who is overly theatrical and often childish, even though she wants to be taken seriously as an adult. Much like everyone her age wants to be, even in 2012. However, even with that said, she is entertaining, has a smart mouth and isn’t afraid to speak her mind. A few times I wanted to be Evie! She spoke her mind with no worries about the repercussions about what would happen until said repercussions happened. I can’t wait for the second book to see more of fiesty Evie.I recently read her Beauty Queens and that was so light and fluffy I wasn’t sure that Libba Bray could do creepy well. My fears were not needed, she does creepy beyond well. Naughty John, isn’t the type of character that one wants to read about at night; which of course when I read this book! At 600 pages, Bray has a chance to make this book complex, compelling, and only a few pages too long. This is one of those books that uses its 600 pages to the best of their ability. Any fewer pages and I’m not sure this book would have been the same. This book needed the length to make the reader feel like a flapper in New York City in the roaring twenties, and that I didI adored this book. If you follow me on goodreads you will notice it took me longer to read than most books usually do but that is only because it’s midterm time in grad school and all my time is dedicated to reading about libraries and how they can shape the future while emailing a friend going “I CAN’T DO THIS ANYMORE I NEED TO QUIT.” So the fact that this book took me over a week to read isn’t a sign that it’s a bad book and I couldn’t get through it; it was more of a situation of I only read before bed, but then this is a mystery book and required a lot of thought. Plus, Naughty John at night? I could only handle so much!