The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place Series #1)

The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place Series #1) - Originally posted at Nose in a BookThis is the story of Penelope Lumley, a fifteen year old recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females. Penelope is invited to Ashton Place to help the Incorrigibles. Alexander, Cassiopeia, and Beowulf, or the Incorrigibles, were found running wild in the forest of Ashton Place. This fact however does not deter Penelope, she embraces it. She wants to dive right in and teach them how to speak Latin and use a globe; however, the first thing she must teach them to do is to overcome their canine tendencies.This of course is easier said than done after years of the children living in the woods by themselves, but Penelope doesn’t mind. She truly is up to the challenge. Things that would faze other nannies, the way they drink, the way they bark is just another bump in the road for her. She takes her time with them and they appreciate it because they slowly become ‘normal’ in the sense that they are proper and can be seen in public by their adoptive parents when they host their upcoming ball.The Incorrigibles take to Penelope, and she takes to them. They are quickly their own little family. This comes in handy when the mystery of the novel takes place. What is also important is many of the mysteries that take place in this novel don’t actually get answered in this novel, which makes me glad that this is a series.Also, I am a big believer and fan of audio books. There are two reasons I hit my goodreads goal this year. One: middle grade books and two: audio books. That being said, The Mysterious Howling is a book that needs to be read, not listened to. The illustrations and drawings of this book are almost as important to the book as the story is. Plus, they are adorable.I adored this book and I hope you do, too.