Abandon (Abandon Trilogy Series #1)

Abandon - Meg Cabot Originally posted here yAdult ReviewThis is the story of Pierce, a girl who once died, and then tried to move on from that moment. The problem is she can’t move on. John her “guardian angel” continues to find her. Pierce is torn by John. She knows that he is not a good guy, but she continuously has an attachment to him. While Pierce isn’t overly strong, she also isn’t a pushover, and of course John does have this need to protect her.John helped to save her years ago and has been watching her ever since. Yes, a bit creepy, I know. But he feels a very deep connection to her which makes it okay. (That’s a bitter rant for another day.) Pierce tries to leave her past behind her, of course her first day at her new school and everyone knows about the fact that she seduced a teacher at her previous school (long story) and that she is now in D-Wing, which no one admits to being apart of. D-Wing is the wing of the school where the “losers” are part of. No one talks to D-Wing, yet, the popular kids want to be friends with Pierce. Pierce is known and lives in a gated community which allows them to be part of a school tradition.The real stand outs in this book; however, are not Pierce, or even John. It is actually her Uncle and her cousin Alex who don’t have nearly enough page time. Pierce does however bond throughout the novel with her Uncle and Alex, which allows for more fun scenes with them. Pierce slowly has become an outcast with what happened at her old school, the whole dying thing, and the whole coming back to live thing while once visiting the Underworld. But again, even with being an outcast, the popular kids love her because she makes it easier for them to build a coffin per school tradition.Yes, this book seemed like a giant info-dump with no real ending. While that can be okay, sometimes, as a first in a trilogy I feel there should have been more to hook the reader into this book. The fact that Meg Cabot wrote it, and I love bad boys is what is keeping me around. No one who knows me will be remotely shocked by that announcement. The bad guy is also kind of thrown at the reader from left field.I am a huge Meg Cabot fangirl. She reminds me of being a tween/teenager. I love and adore her books. That being said. This book, and Cabot’s writing, left a lot to be desired, which of course, made me sad. Mostly because there is something lacking from Cabot’s writing that didn’t always exist in previous novels. I will however be continuing on with the series when it ends in July.